In my role as a university teacher and researcher I am/was member of various academic committees, organizer of international workshops and conferences, member of editorial teams and active in community work.
1. Professional Committees (Member)
- member Exam Committee Master of Social Research, Faculty of Social Sciences, VU University Amsterdam, 2012/13,
- member of the advisory board of Social Networking Sites in the Surveillance Society funded by the Austrian Science Fund – FWF and runned by prof.dr. Christian Fuchs,
- Project member of the Centre for Educational Training CETAR (in a project on the use of ICT tools in education; assessment of English writing skills) at FSW/VUA; 2007/8,
- Member of the Research Management Committee (FOZ) of the Faculty of Social Sciences of the VU University Amsterdam, 2006-2010.
- Research Manager of the program Cultural Change in Organizational Networks (CuCON) from September 2006 – Januari 2011. Reports written in this position (a selection): 1) in 2007: Self-evaluation CuCON 2001-2006 (according to the SEP protocol), 2) Self-evaluation midd-term of CuCON in 2010.
- Member of the Facultaire Werkgroep ICT (Faculty ICT Committee), 2005 – 2010,
- Participating lecturer within the Master COM accreditation; 22 March 2006,
- Public Relations en Voorlichting (PRV Committee COM), 2002-2006 and from 2011 in the Department of Organization Sciences,
- Organizer of the Facultair Forum (Faculty Research Colloquium Social Sciences), 2003-2005,
- Member of the COM-Bachelor implementation workgroup in 2005,
- Organizer of the ‘vakgroepcolloquia Techniekdynamica ECIS’ (Research Colloquia Committee), Eindhoven University of Technology, 1997-2000,
- Member of the ‘facultair aio-overleg’ (Ph.D. Program Committee), Eindhoven University of Technology, 1998-2001,
- Member of the ‘interfacultair overlegorgaan ethiek en techniek’ (Ethics and Technology Committee), Eindhoven University of Technology, 2000.
2. Organized workshops and conferences
- 2012: practitioners workshop on Dilemmas in Crisis Management and Safety Response, 12 January, VU Amsterdam. With professor Scott Poole and professor John Lammers (University of Illinois). Key lecture by Brian Brauer of the Illinois Fire Service Institute (ISFI). Co-organized by Jeroen Wolbers, Rianne Gouman, Peter Groenwegen and Pieter Wagenaar. About 40 participants.
- 2011: organizer of the LiSS WG2/DigiDeas workshop on Living in Surveillance Societies, with dr. Irma van der Ploeg and dr. Jason Pridmore, 7-9 November in Felix Meritis, Amsterdam. Keynotes by Irma van der Ploeg, Clive Norris, Ronald Leenes and David Lyon, about 45 participants.
- 2011: organizer of the VU Network Institute symposium, May 10, Amsterdam with dr. Michel Klein, dr. Peter Polak and dr. Zuzana Sasovova, about 60 participants.
- 2011: coordinator workshop Cost Action Living in Surveillance Societies with dr. Gemma Galdon, Barcelona, 15-16 February.
- 2010: trainer at workshop Capacity Building, Mekelle University, Northern Ethiopia, April, about 25 participants.
- 2010: organizer of the sub-theme ‘Organizing and Disorganizing Resilience in the Globalizing City‘, at EGOS 2010, Lisbon, together with Stewart Clegg, and Martin Kornberger,
-2010: stream on Surveillance Technologies in Practice at the EU LiSS conference A Global Surveillance Society?, with Christian Fuchs, Anders Albrechtslund and Marisol Sandoval. Place: City University, London, 13-15 April,
- 2009: Conference co-organizer: Cosmopolis 2025. ZuidAs Amsterdam Bright City, 4 June, Amsterdam. With the Amsterdam Bright City, about 400 participants from academy and industry. Key note by Saskia Sassen, Columbia University,
- 2008: Conference committee member of the European Group of Organization Studies (EGOS) Colloquium ‘Upsetting Organizations’, held in Amsterdam, July 2008. About 1350 participants,
- 2008: organizer of the sub-theme ‘Conceptualizing, Organizing and Managing Cities’, at EGOS 2008, Amsterdam, together with Stewart Clegg, Barbara Czarniawska and Martin Kornberger,
- 2008: workshop organizer with Peter Groenewegen, Ira Helsoot, Scott Poole and Pieter Wagenaar on: Organization of Emergency Response, VU University Amsterdam, 17 June,
- 2007: organization of the seminar ‘ICT after the Hype’, at the NIG Session and Colloquium, VU Amsterdam with dr. Albert Meijer and dr. Pieter Wagenaar,
- 2006: organization of the seminar ‘Knowledge Society’, at the NIG Session and Colloquium, KUNijmegen with dr. Albert Meijer and dr. Pieter Wagenaar,
- 2005: co-organizer of a Workshop on ‘STS curriculum building’, at the North West University (NWU) in South Africa, February and August,
- 2000: organizer of the Subtheme ‘History of industrial R&D’, together with Marc de Vries (chair: Leonard Reich), at at the Society for the History of Technology (SHOT) Conference, Munich, Germany.
3. Other Professional and Community Activities
- Board member (chair) of Cybersoek digital city Amsterdam (Stichting ZIP: ‘digitaal trapveld’ Zeeburg, Amsterdam), since January 2006,
- Board member of the Dutch Society for Business History (Stichting Bedrijfsgeschiedenis) since November 2005,
- Member of the Expert Pool The Netherlands National Archive in The Hague,
- Member of the scientific board of the Dutch Institute of Cultural Ethics (wetenschapppelijke adviesraad voor het Instituut voor Cultuur Ethiek), since March 2004, contact person dr.ir. Jan van der Stoep,
- Columnist for Kompas, a neighborhood newspaper in De Baarsjes, Amsterdam, 2002/4,
- Board member of the TeMa Alumnivereniging Ingenieurs Techniek en Maatschappij (Secretary of the TU/e Alumni-Society ITEM), 1998-2002.