As a teacher I specialized myself in the areas of Organization Studies, Crisis and Disaster Managementand, and Technology and Culture. I currently teach (both in Dutch and English) undergraduates and graduates within the curricula Culture, Organization and Management, Policy, Communcation and Organization, Public Administration and within the Social Sciences Research Master. I supervised over 150 master’s students with their Ma-thesis. At this page you can find an overview of my teaching activities during the last ten years.
1. Graduate and Master courses
– lecturer and coordinator ‘Organization Sciences’, Ma-course Department Organization Sciences, VU University Amsterdam VUA,
– lecturer and coordinator of the course ‘Selected Qualitative Methods’. Graduate School of Social Sciences, VUA, with dr. Giulia Sinatti
– Lecturer and coordinator ‘Advanced Interdisciplinary Seminar: Networks, Media and Culture’ of the Master of Social Research, VUA,
– guest lectures on ‘Normal Accidents and Organizational Culture’, ‘Crisis (in) leadership: power and perspectives’ and ‘Public-Private Partnerships in Disaster Response and Management’ at various universities (Radboud University, Utrecht University, University of Twente, University of Antwerp, University of the Free State South Africa).
– 2009/10/11 coordinator of and lecturer in Qualitative Methods of Organisational Research: ‘Methods of Meaning’. PhD Programme in Business and Organisation, Amsterdam Business Research Institute ABRI),
– 2009/10 tutor in the research Master of Social Research/VUA-graduate school: Key-thinkers course,
– 2007-2010 tutor ‘Thematic Reading’: Structure and Agency in Organization Theory, with dr. Frank den Hond (in 2007/8) and ‘Organizational Politics’ (2009/10) in the research Master of Social Research (VUA),
– 2007-2011 guest-instructor in various Ma-courses at the VUA: the course ‘History of the Life Sciences’; the course ‘Thematic reading'; the course ‘Multicultural organizations and networks’; the course ‘Gender, diversity and technology’ and the course ‘Identity and diversity in organizations’,
– 2006/7 together with professor Stewart Clegg (University of Technology Sydney): (pre-master) ‘Theories of Management and Organization’ (~80 students) at the VUA,
– 2003/4/5: (master and evening class) ‘Organizational Culture and ICT’. A course on paper writing (~100 students with feedback in smaller groups) at the VUA,
– 2002/3/4: (pre-master and bachelor) course on ‘Organizational Culture and Technology’ (~200 students) together with dr.ir. Sytze Kingma (coordinator), at the VUA,
– 2001/2/3: (pre-master) courses on ‘Organizational Theory and Writing’, at the VUA (~15 students each year),
– 2001/2/3: courses and coordination ‘Organizational Behavior’ (~250 students each year; pre-master and evening classes) at the VUA.
2. Minors and Summer Schools
– 2009-2014 course ‘Organizational Politics’ as part of the Minor Culture, Organization and Management at the VU University Amsterdam,
– 2014/15: guest lecturer Crisis Management Leadership, in the course ‘Institutions, recovery and resilience’ part of the Minor Disaster and Recovery, Wageningen University,
– 2011/12: lecturer in the VU Social Sciences Summer School (August 2011) Culture Organization and Management, the course: ‘Organizational Politics’.
– 2007-2011 introduction (bachelor) course ‘Public Administration and Organization Science’. Coordinator with dr. Pieter Wagenaar of 12 instructors and ~250 students each year, and the supervision of a group of 20 students at the VUA,
– 2006/7: Ba-course on ‘Organizational Politics and Social Theories on Power in Organizations’, together with professor Stewart Clegg, University of Technology Sydney, at theVUA,
– 2003/4/5/6: Ba-course on ‘Organizational Politics and Social Theories on Power in Organizations’ (~35 students each year), at the VUA (in 2005 with a guest lecture by professor JoAnne Martin, Stanford Graduate School of Business),
– 2003/4: coordinator of the course on ‘Organizational Theory and Writing’, at the VUA (~50 students).